About Me

My photo
"I'm writing the story of my life... The problem is I'm writing in pen, so I cannot erase my mistakes."

Friday, May 6, 2011

It's nice to be important, but it's even more important to be nice.

Alright, today's subject is on one thing that I think every human has experienced. One thing every human also is guilty of. Bullying. Gossip. Back biting. How much more blunt do I need to be? Humans can  be cruel. Especailly to each other. And as much as I hate to admit this, girls seem to be mostly guilty of it, although I have dated plenty of guys that do things like this as well.

I want to cry when I see a girl at school, so sweet, so quiet and shy. She doesn't wear the same clothes as everyone. No make up. She does her hair the best she can, but it's not "in style." To see this sweet girl's smile fade as another person who deems herself as "cooler" or "better" tears her down. They call her fat. They call her ugly. And they laugh. How do they know what she's going through:? How can they not see how much it hurts her? And what bothers me the most is that the bullies are usually the people we as students are supposed to look up to. The football players and cheerleaders. Now, I'm not saying every jock person is this way. I was a cheerleader myself. I still remember girls being so shocked that I ate lunch with the choir nerds. Really?

Humans can be so cruel. Especially when a bunch of people get in on it. It breaks my heart. I always try to smile at everyone, and give them a sincere compliment. I've even attempted to stand up for a girl in class when a popular dancer called her fat. I ended up with death threats and was kicked out of the classroom for the day, but really? I thought we got over that in Jr. High!

I've been a victim of bullying. Once, just after I made the cheer squad my freshman year, someone left a message on my phone that said, "U-G-L-Y! U-G-L-Y! YOU UGLY! YEAH, YEAH, YOU UGLY!" I knew I wasn't as pretty as the other cheerleaders that made it. But I vowed I'd never ever EVER be that mean. I've had my driveway covered in nasty writing about me, all in permanent marker. I've walked into a girl's bathroom and seen writing about me all over the stalls. And although it broke my heart at the time, I learned to forgive, and with the support of friends and loved ones, it has always been a reminder to me that everyone has feelings. Everyone wants to be loved.

As humans, we all feel emotions. But I think more oftn than not we are selfish and always forget how the other guy is feeling. So next time you are with a bunch of people, see who you can reach out to. Look for someone who needs a smile. "Always be careful of what you say, for you might regret it someday. In every heart is a silent plea, 'Somebody, please love me.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment